Pill Dispensers, a Competitive Analysis
The newest generation of pill dispensers are not only automated, but connected as well. Last year, we spent some time researching for the best pill dispenser for seniors and those for general consumer use. In the original article written for Medium.com, we documented the best of the best.
Since that time, we have been watching most of them closely while some have failed, others hold much promise. They are all developed for niche markets and segments of our society who can most benefit. Each has a compelling feature that makes it shine above the others, but together they are well engineered by smart people to serve a better good.
They all connect to patients and caregivers, some with advanced support for pharmacists and health care professionals via online portals. Besides all the cool bells and whistles, what distinguishes them most is their form factor, ease-of-use and target market. The days of manually dispensing your buffet of medications into small plastic organizers is almost over.
We review the pill dispensers that handle blister packaged medication, strip/pouch packaged medications, even devices that require manual fulling from your original pill vials. They all promote increased medication adherence.
Explore the original brief we wrote on Medium.com for the full report.
The RxPense is Innovative, Better, Unique
- Security, physical & virtual: medications can not be removed or viewed once locked into the RxPense®, until it is time to take them. Biometric/RFID/PIN identification and authorization levels determine who can access and consume. Image of consumer can be captured.
- Validation: When inserted into the RxPense®, Patient Data is automatically captured from header/barcode on sealed blister-packaged medications prepared by the pharmacy. Medications, Patient, Machine and Pharmacy must match the patient profile or EHR.
- Medications: Dispense up to 2 weeks’ complex medication regimens (15 pills per dose). Additional reminders for PRN, OTC and liquids. Control of opioids and high value meds.
- Alerts: Audible alarms and voice recordings as reminders, image and video capture during use.
- Multilingual: English, French and Spanish out of the box. Other languages downloadable.
- Surveys: Completely integrated custom survey creation and delivery, before during or after medication consumption.
- Delivery: Medications physically/robotically removed from the blister package and provided to the patient, with instructions for consumption. Perfect for Elderly and arthritic conditions.
- Missed Dose Skip: When a dose is missed, caregivers are notified. Patented robotics ensure the patient is prevented from double-dosing next time.
- Panic/Fall Detection: Panique™ personal pendant that serves as a fall-detector, panic button and authentication device.
- Support: 1 button emergency or caregiver contact assistance.
- Reports: manage/consolidate groups of patients, vitals and medication compliance reports.
- Other: large touch screen, battery backup, emergency information, full audit trail, compliance history