Chronic Disease Patients benefit from Remote Patient Monitoring, Telemedicine
Chronic disease is Canada’s most prominent health care problem, costing more than $80 billion each year and causing increased use of emergency departments, extended hospital stays, reduced quality of life and increased mortality rates. Improving the quality of care for people with chronic diseases is complex, requiring timely diagnosis and treatment, access to primary and specialist care and a focus on self-management tasks and decisions.
In the USA, the CDC reported that “we spend 86% of our health care dollars on the treatment of chronic diseases.”
- As of 2012, about half of all adults—117 million people—have one or more chronic health conditions. One of four adults has two or more chronic health conditions. With an aging population, the problems are further compounded.
- The total costs of heart disease and stroke in 2010 were estimated to be $315.4 billion. Of this amount, $193.4 billion was for direct medical costs, not including costs of nursing home care.
- Cancer care cost $157 billion in 2010 dollars.
- The total estimated cost of diagnosed diabetes in 2012 was $245 billion, including $176 billion in direct medical costs and $69 billion in decreased productivity.
Supporting people in self-management has been shown to be effective at improving outcomes and has been promoted across the widest array of conditions and populations.… These strategies enable patients, together with their health care providers, to medically manage their illnesses more effectively, carry out normal roles and activities and manage the emotional impact of their illnesses.
Study after study have concluded that Remote Patient Management or Telehomecare:
- Improves: Patient self-management, Medication compliance, Clinical outcomes, Patient & Provider Satisfaction, Collaborative relationships, Best practice care for chronic disease and Data integration.
- Reduces: Emergency Room visits, Hospital admissions, Primary Care utilization, Long Term Care, home admissions, Patient travel costs, Walk-in clinic utilization and Patient Morbidity!
Engaging patients in self-management of their chronic diseases is important and effective.Public Health Agency of Canada
The Medipense Advantage
The Medipense product line, RxPense®, not only manages, controls, monitors and records medication dispensing and consumption, but also captures vitals and other important markers, via sensory inputs, and securely stores this data in the cloud for instant access by caregivers and health care professionals. Anomalies are reported immediately, blood pressure, temperature or other vitals are sent via alarms for each out of normal event.
RxPense is the only product in the world that provides a patented, secure, medication management system with a complete Remote Patient Monitoring capability, including an interface to all common Bluetooth sensors, in a single unit, single interface, 24×7, secure, online solution.